Many people are unsure as to whether they should hire an attorney following a car accident. Generally speaking, if no one has suffered an injury you may not need to hire a lawyer, provided you are confident enough to take care of your insurance claim by yourself.
If, however, you, a passenger, the other driver or passengers of the other car/s are injured, and there is a question of “fault”, you should seek the assistance of an experienced car accident lawyer. My advice would be to hire an attorney unless there is little damage to vehicles, and there are no injuries of any kind.
Cases Where You May Not Need a Lawyer
Provided you are able to deal with insurance companies yourself, you may not need a lawyer in the following instances:
- Minor damage to the car
- No injuries to anyone involved in the accident
- No question of “fault”
Cases Where You Must Hire an Attorney
In some instances, calling a lawyer after a car accident is essential, including:
- Any bodily injury or pain as a result of an accident. Neck, back or shoulder pain counts. It is not necessary to break a bone or need surgery.
- Serious injury or death to a person or persons involved in the crash
- Extensive vehicular damage
- Difficult to determine who was at fault
- The police report puts you at fault
- Complex technical, medical, or legal issues at play
- Low limit liability on your car insurance policy
- You have no insurance or your insurance company says that your policy has lapsed
- Your insurance company involves a lawyer
If any of the above circumstances arise, call an attorney at once.
Cases Where You Would Fare Better with a Lawyer
Even in straightforward cases, you may stumble upon questions you may not be able to answer. It is also advisable to call an attorney if you:
- Need advice on the value of a claim
- Fault is an issue
- Lack confidence in your insurance company
- Need help dealing with your insurance company
- Are unsure of the laws and your rights
- Can’t understand your insurance policy
- Need help with filling in forms
Ultimately, a good car accident attorney can guide you through the entire process and ensure you progress through all the various stages in a supported manner. Your rights will be protected, and she/he will ensure that you will see the best possible outcome. Even when dealing with minor claims, a lawyer is likely to extract a larger payout than you would be able to obtain without an attorney.
If you have any physical or mental pain as a result of the accident, don’t hesitate to call us today for a free consultation: 818-272-8882